Sunday, July 13, 2014

Back to the lower 48

We planned head back to the East Coast once during our 3 year stint here. We spent a week at the end of June with my family in Michigan, arriving just in time for the family's annual canoe trip.  My dad's side of the family must be going on 20+ years of paddling family friendly Michigan rivers.  As our group has grown, we can't fit in to some of the small cottages in prime paddling territory anymore, so we had to find a new venue.  I was sad that we did not canoe a river this year, but we were all happy with a sunny weekend on Lake Huron, and we did paddle around a bit.



It was great to show the kids the lake where I spent my summers growing up, and I was extremely surprised that we were able to swim in the lake so early in the summer considering the frigid winter.

Cousins reunited
We stopped on the way home to meet up with friends, and Kate spent a few hours playing with my childhood beach buddy Laurel's daughter.  Made me feel old but happy as well.
Meg & Kate
In Plymouth, we meet up with more friends, introduced the kids to cousins they didn't know they had, took Kate to see the house where she was born, considered buying it back from the people we sold it to, watched a lot of World Cup, and thoroughly enjoyed the visit all around.





Of course we went for ice cream, 


and Kate even rode a bike Grandma picked up for her in the Plymouth Parade.

Since we spent 4th of July at the lake growing up, I'm not sure I've ever see Plymouth's 4th of July Parade.  I was surprised at how big the parade was, but I suppose I should not have been surprised that the zamboni was featured. Perhaps I'm getting old(er) and sentimental, but I LOVE small town 4th of July.  It's Americana at its best.  It's what made us buy our house in Connecticut, it's the only thing Kate was bummed to miss this summer in Homer, and I was happy to feel choked up, dare I say blessed, to spend it in Plymouth. Cue the Neil Diamond and let's get ready for some fireworks!  

Actually, I don't care too much about fireworks unless you're witnessing your child's first firework experience,which I was not, but we still planned the second leg of our trip to allow us to see fireworks at the beach.  We flew to Myrtle beach and the kids were reunited with more cousins. 

Like me, the kids took off running at the site of the warm ocean.  Happiness is...


This is our third year in Surfside Beach with Brian's family.  We rent a house across the street from the beach with a pool in the backyard. We only get in the car to hit the grocery store or to go out for ice cream, and whenever possible we put all the kids in uncle Andrew's truck. 
Uncle Andrew with three 4 year olds and Kate in the truck blaring ACDC

This year, James locked on to Garrett, or Gary as he likes to call him. He loved having a cousin exactly the same age and they both enjoyed getting absolutely handled in the breaking surf.  Head over heals it didn't matter, they both came up with a smile every time.

Luke really looked up to Kate and she took on the new charge happily as she found Lukie much more charming than her own little brother.


I don't have too many beach photos as I didn't bring my camera, and I'm deathly afraid to bring my new phone to the beach.



Aside from swimming and sunning, which was fabulous, we did watch more World Cup, took Kate to see the Ripley's Believe It or Not Museum (like father like daughter), dined at Waffle House, and hosted friends from Connecticut who just happened to be passing through. 

Kate & Alex reunited


When we got tired of the sun, we sat around in our underwear playing legos, well the boys did anyway.


Whiskey Hotel
We drove one day to North Carolina to see Brian's grandparents. As usual, we dined at the world famous Zack's, ate North Carolina BBQ, and allowed the kids to forge relationships with their great-grandparents. The 4.5 hour drive back to the beach took all day because we were with Brian, and because we kept running into cool stuff.


Krispy Cream's B-day.  Can't miss it.


We also stopped in Saxapahaw to show the kids where both Nanny and Mimi grew up.  Then, like an angel in the sky we unexpectedly happened upon South of the Border!

Gotta do it.



Great vacation all around!









No comments:

Post a Comment