This summer, Brian started a three year tour as Commanding Officer of the CGC Hickory, a phenomenal job for him. The move, however, was very sudden for us. The phone call came in May, and Brian was in Alaska before the end of June. Although Alaska was no where on our radar, nor was it a place I have ever wanted to live, I hope to embrace as many aspects of Alaska as possible and think it will be a great adventure for all of us. The most daunting task for for me (and the kids) will be having Brian gone so often. I hope the blog will allow me to focus on the adventurous aspects of our time here and encourage me to make more posts/have more fun. I can guarantee the blog will be rambling and unedited. I look forward to being verbose as this blog is really for me and my posterity. I haven't finished a baby book yet, and although I keep saying I will make photo albums of the previous nine places we have lived or trips we haven taken, the reality is I don't do it. A blog seems like a realistic way to chronicle our time here. Now, I just need to master the technology and learn how to use my new fancy pants camera. Step one is obviously to get over my fear of taking the camera out of its case and into the elements. The blog is also a bit of a CYA move on my part: If the kids try to say their childhood and/or time in Alaska was riddled with shouting from a mom teetering on the edge of insanity, I will have proof that we did cool stuff, if only intermittently between all the time outs.
"The Nantucket Girls Song"
Martha Ford, 1885
I have made up my mind now to be a Sailor's wife
To have a purse full of money and a very easy life,
For a clever sailor husband is so seldom at his home,
That his wife can spend the dollars with a will that's all her own,
Then I'll haste to wed a sailor, and send him off to sea,
For a life of independence is the pleasant life for me,
But every now and then I shall like to see his face,
For it always seemes to me to beam with manly grace,
With his brow so nobly open, and his dark and kindly eye,
Oh my heart beats fondly towards him whenever he is nigh,
But when he says Goodbye my love, I'm off across the sea
First I cry for his departure, then laugh because I'm free,
Yet I'll welcome him most gladly, whenever he returnes
And share with him so cheerfully all the money that he earns
For he's a loving Husband, though he leads a roving life
And well I know how good it is to be a Sailor's Wife.
Welcome to Homer and Welcome to The Blog!

Love the poem and love you!
ReplyDelete